Why do mothers need the New Beginnings Program?
Many mothers worry about how their children will adjust to the changes that happen during and after divorce or separation.
Although most children do not have serious problems after a divorce, some do. Common problems include acting out, poor grades, feeling sad or angry, and poor relationships with family and friends.
Divorce is difficult for mothers, too. You need to cope with many strong feelings and all the changes that have occurred after the divorce or separation. Your children may be angry and sad and you may not know how to help them deal with these feelings.
Because mothers play such an important part in their children’s lives, you can make a big difference in how your children adjust to divorce. The New Beginnings Program gives you tools to help ease your children's adjustment after a divorce or separation.
How does the New Beginnings Program work?
- Groups of 6-10 mothers meet weekly with a professional leader
- Separate programs for mothers and fathers
- Free child care at all groups
You will be taught skills that will help you
- Connect with your children
- Listen better so that your children talk more openly with you
- Protect your children from being caught in the middle of issues between you and their father
- Discipline your children more effectively
How do mothers and children benefit from the program?
As you learn these new skills, you will
- Have more fun with your children
- Deal with rule breaking and acting out more effectively
- Feel less stress and tension
- Feel better about yourself as a parent and about your ability to help your children
And, your children will
- Misbehave less often
- Do better in school
- Feel happier and less angry