Why do mothers and fathers need the New Beginnings Program?
Many mothers and fathers worry about how their children will adjust to the changes that happen during and after divorce or separation.
Although most children do not have serious problems after a divorce, some do. Common problems include acting out, poor grades, feeling sad or angry, and poor relationships with family and friends.
Divorce is difficult for mothers and fathers as well as children. Parents need to cope with many strong feelings and all the changes that have occurred after the divorce or separation. Their children may be angry and sad and they may not know how to help them deal with these feelings.
Because parents play such an important part in their children’s lives, they can make a big difference in how your children adjust to divorce. The New Beginnings Program gives parents tools to help ease their children's adjustment after a divorce or separation.
How does the New Beginnings Program work?
- Groups of 6-10 parents meet weekly with a professional leader
- Separate programs for mothers and fathers
- Free child care at all groups
Parents will be taught skills that will help them
- Connect with their children
- Listen better so that their children talk more openly with them
- Protect their children from being caught in the middle of conflict between the parents
- Discipline their children more effectively
How do mothers, fathers and children benefit from the program?
As parents learn these new skills, they will
- Have more fun with their children
- Deal with rule breaking and acting out more effectively
- Feel less stress and tension
- Feel better about themselves as a parent and about their ability to help their children
And, their children will
- Misbehave less often
- Do better in school
- Feel happier and less angry