Who is eligible to participate?
1. Have been involved with the family court in the past two years for one of the following reasons:
- Have divorced in the past two years or are currently seeking a divorce or
- Were divorced more than two years ago but have sought to modify parenting time through the court within the past 2 years or
- Were never married but are being seen in family court for custody or parenting time issues
2. Have ongoing, regular contact with at least one of their children
- At least one overnight every other week or
- At least 3 hours of contact every week
3. Have at least one child between the ages of 3 – 18
4. Are not remarried
5. Agree to participate in either the 2- or 10-week program depending on random assignment
6. Can participate in a program conducted in English (a Spanish version is not currently available)
7. Are willing to participate in three phone interviews as part of evaluating the program. One will be prior to the program, one directly afterwards, and one six months later. Parents are paid for participating in interviews.
How do I refer parents to the program?
As a referral agent, you do not need to confirm parents are eligible to refer them to the program. If you think they might be eligible based on the information you have, please tell them to visit the New Beginnings website at nbpdivorce.org or call the toll-free number (855)531-0851 to learn more about the program or to sign up for the next group. We will confirm eligibility when we speak to them over the phone.
If you have questions about who is appropriate for the program or how to refer parents, or if you would like to be sent brochures about New Beginnings, please contact:
Sarah Jones, Ph.D.
New Beginnings Program